American River College, Butte College, Cosumnes River College, Folsom Lake College, Sacramento City College, Sierra College, Woodland Community College, Yuba College
Sacramento Valley Community College Mathematics (SVCCM)
Who we are
Sacramento Valley Community College Mathematics is a loose association of mathematics faculty (full-time and adjunct) of the eight community colleges in the Sacramento region: American River College, Butte College, Cosumnes River College, Folsom Lake College, Sacramento City College, Sierra College, Woodland Community College, and Yuba College.
Why we exist
- There is a need for interaction among faculty. This is especially so for faculty in a community college (cc) district with several campuses, as well as for faculty belonging to small math departments, where the variety of interaction may be limited. There is also a need for interaction among faculty of different cc districts.
- There is a need for articulation both with K--12 schools as well as with four-year colleges and universities.
- There is a need for faculty from different cc districts to share solutions or possible approaches to common problems and challenges. These include the delivery of instruction, in-class challenges, and system-wide challenges.
- There is a need for faculty to explore and think about advanced topics in math so that they may renew their sense of mathematical enjoyment, their raison d'être for becoming mathematicians.
Our purpose, therefore, is to provide opportunities for community college math faculty in the region to communicate.
Forums for communication
- Web-based discussion board (BBS). [It would be nice to have one. Please let us know if you can set one up for us. Thank you.]
Department Web pages
Print your own SVCCM note pads. Download a PDF (19.1 KB).
Last modified on February 14, 2013. (Please report dead links.)